Skip to main content

Understanding "I"

Stepping into a new place, be it an institution, a workplace, or just another group of people, we all are very receptive about the perceptions that we create in the minds of people. Most often, the perceptions that people have about us are based on what they feel when they’re around us.

Through my school life, I never noticed anything awkward or different about people’s perception towards me. In college, things were different.

I still remember the moments when I walked into a class, and introduced myself to everyone, and then slowly got around to knowing people and then becoming close friends with a group of them. After the initial months had passed, when we embarked on a casual conversation about what we all had thought of each other at first, I was surprised to hear, that everyone had perceived that I had lots of “attitude.”

Back then, having “attitude” was misconstrued by me as being “bad”. I’m sure many still make that mistake.

Let’s define what we mean by attitude first, attitude is the way I deal with people, with things and with life. It’s conveyed in the forms of my communication, my posture, my ideas and my words. Attitude is about being me. Now who is this me? That is the core to our thought process. Attitude is used most often as a synonym of arrogance, which is a logical and expressional fallacy.

The journey of beginning to define the “I” in my life is probably one of the most interesting and challenging journeys that I’ve had, answering questions which form the base to my actions, thoughts and emotions. One may ask, “Why do I want to do this?” “What do I want to do?” “Who am I?” and I speak from experience when I say that the joy of the realization that your life is yours to decide and that the choices are yours to make and that you will face the consequences of your own actions! Ah! It’s magic!

Maslow had a theory called the ‘Hierarchy of Needs’; He said that each of us have different stages of needs: Physiological, Safety, Love/Belonging, Self-Esteem and Self-Actualization. The fifth stage of self-actualization which people compare to being spiritually inclined is what I’m talking about. Parallel with the Buddhist way of thought, it’s a feeling of enlightenment from within, of realizing your own true skills and utilizing them to achieve your every step.

Remember the time in your childhood when you thought you could fly? I remember the time I actually tried and fell, today I know, it wasn’t a fruitless attempt, because I have flown into the skies and had some falls, but kept going on, for no other reason other than the burning desire to go on.

So what is self-development? I’d say, Self Development is about understanding yourself, by prioritizing your passions, building up the skills which will take you there, and then, just go! Let go of the inhibitions. Don’t try to control, just let go of yourself completely and pursue your dreams with your passion!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaitan

So thanks to some prodding from my friend Shri, I decided to go watch this movie today. I'm not upset I did, but I'm certainly not happy. It was sort of like watching Love, Sex aur Dhokha in a way. Graphic, very close to reality, and loud. The movie begins with Anurag Kashyap saying that it's a just a movie and that he doesn't support the use of drugs, drinking and driving and that it's a fictional story which is debatable because like Dev D he used an actual incident as one of the pivotal moments in the movie, in this case the moment is when 5 kids high on coke, drinks, and generally on life, speed across town and in one of the turns end up killing two people who were on a scooter. They were driving a Hummer. Anyways, to come back to the timeline of things, the movie begins by shocking you. I know I've watched a number of movies which involve sequences of kisses in front of my parents / relatives without flinching. But I would not be able to watch this movi

Crash Landing on You - Netflix K-Drama Review

I think all of us remember our first love, we remember what it felt like to have our hearts beat that much faster, the butterflies in our stomach, the obsessing about the words we spoke or didn't speak, and other million details that come along with it. Watching a romantic comedy is supposed to evoke some bit of those memories and just fill you up in this warm, fuzzy feeling that feels like a comforting bear hug (if you like hugs!). A while back I was reading this article about the dearth of good romantic comedies nowadays and it's true, when was the last good romantic comedy you saw? To me the evergreen You've Got Mail, Kate & Leopold, Notting Hill, Sleepless in Seattle are still the classics (yes, I think I crushed on Meg Ryan a lot!). In Hindi movies, I know this divides a lot of people, but I do genuinely think Sonam Kapoor has figured this out. I absolutely loved her Khoobsurat with Fawad Khan. I thought it was funny, contemporary and their chemistry was left me

Karthik Calling Karthik

After having been completely enamored and in love with the song "Uff Teri Adaa" I couldn't wait to watch the movie finally. The end emotion being, a decent watch, but could've been much better. The movie begins with a very stereotypical life of a guy (Farhaan) who's just not got anything going for him, from a landlord who's hounding him for money, to a boss who's blaming him for everything that goes wrong, to the hot co-worker (Deepika) who just doesn't know of his existence at all! The change that comes into his life, is a call, at 5 am each day, by a man who claims to be "Karthik" himself who guides him to becoming the man that he is. And voila, suddenly, the real "Karthik" begins to stand up for himself, asserts himself in front of his boss, and manages to strike conversation (a rather witty one) with Deepika too! Sitting in the audience, you literally feel like whistling and hooting when you see him walk down the corridor of his