Skip to main content

Snippets of Observations

For a long time I've been thinking, there are so many little things that we notice each day. I'm going to start writing them down as each day goes by...

Day 1 (Thursday)

I'm on my way back from a meeting at Malad, and in the train, on one of the stations, a transgender walked in. Most of the times they're loud, garish and overtly obvious. She was different. I would call her 'she' because she was one. Graceful, beautiful and very feminine. Clad in a short kurta with pants and a duppatta, she was dressed like any tall big woman would be. Of course she didn't hold herself in the way women would, she was comfortable the way she was. I think that's what matters. Her eyes were the most striking feature of all, sharp, deep black, kind, tender and smiling. When a fellow passenger was attempting to get in, she was looking at her just like we would and she mildly reproached her. I think, with that small an interaction, not that I spoke to her, I was merely observing. One thing I noticed was, the more uncomfortable we are with ourselves, the more uncomfortable people around us are. At the end of the day, the way we feel, is the way others are going to feel about us. She was so calm, composed and alright with herself, that no body gave her a second glance. There was only an acknowledgment of her being there and that was it. Business as usual.

Day 2 (Thursday)

In the same train, while I was getting ready to step down, I observed yet another thing. There was a small school boy. He must've been around 12 years old. He was wearing the school uniform which looked like one of the local municipal schools. Carrying a huge bag on his back, he was waiting in the queue to get down. A peculiar observation amidst this rush, his bag strap, the one that was across his shoulder, had inscribed with blue ball pen, the word A K O N. Set me thinking, is this the same group who sang, "I'm so lonely" I think it is. If it is. It is another indication of the growing influence of English songs on the children today.

In the same context, (of global impact), I'd gone for a dinner party to a friend of my mother's recently. We were having a discussion on various topics and at that time, a person, made this comment which I found to be logical in more ways than one. He said, "I am not a representative of the country I belong to anymore. I have become a part of the homogeneous global youth. We dress similarly, we speak the same language, and we think more or less aligned."

Day 3 (Friday)

Friends and joy are such instinctual reactions that sometimes we tend to take it for granted. Today, I was pleasantly surprised to see a show of affection. Amidst all the hue and cry about Public Display of Affection, diverse sexual orientations and everything, I saw today, two girlfriends chatting animatedly with each other. They hugged, they gave each other pecks on their cheeks, they laughed with their hearts open, and they smiled with so much warmth, it was beautiful to just see them. When one of them got down at a station, I was looking at the other one and I saw, just as one would like to cuddle up with a bag, or with anything in our hands to think of the warmth we've just shared, she was holding her bag against her chest and giving herself a nice hug with it. She was looking out of the window, breeze blowing against her hair and she was smiling. Smiling thinking of the times spent, smiling because she was happy.

:)

I'm currently reading "Gone with the wind" by Margaret Mitchell. Tomorrow's another day.

Comments

Shrinterest said…
excellant. simply enjoied... the most stricking part of the article, was the bit on the comfort level of oneself. write on! cheers!!!
~ a said…
:) thank you!
Radha said…
very interesting post ayesha!

Popular posts from this blog

Shaitan

So thanks to some prodding from my friend Shri, I decided to go watch this movie today. I'm not upset I did, but I'm certainly not happy. It was sort of like watching Love, Sex aur Dhokha in a way. Graphic, very close to reality, and loud. The movie begins with Anurag Kashyap saying that it's a just a movie and that he doesn't support the use of drugs, drinking and driving and that it's a fictional story which is debatable because like Dev D he used an actual incident as one of the pivotal moments in the movie, in this case the moment is when 5 kids high on coke, drinks, and generally on life, speed across town and in one of the turns end up killing two people who were on a scooter. They were driving a Hummer. Anyways, to come back to the timeline of things, the movie begins by shocking you. I know I've watched a number of movies which involve sequences of kisses in front of my parents / relatives without flinching. But I would not be able to watch this movi

Crash Landing on You - Netflix K-Drama Review

I think all of us remember our first love, we remember what it felt like to have our hearts beat that much faster, the butterflies in our stomach, the obsessing about the words we spoke or didn't speak, and other million details that come along with it. Watching a romantic comedy is supposed to evoke some bit of those memories and just fill you up in this warm, fuzzy feeling that feels like a comforting bear hug (if you like hugs!). A while back I was reading this article about the dearth of good romantic comedies nowadays and it's true, when was the last good romantic comedy you saw? To me the evergreen You've Got Mail, Kate & Leopold, Notting Hill, Sleepless in Seattle are still the classics (yes, I think I crushed on Meg Ryan a lot!). In Hindi movies, I know this divides a lot of people, but I do genuinely think Sonam Kapoor has figured this out. I absolutely loved her Khoobsurat with Fawad Khan. I thought it was funny, contemporary and their chemistry was left me

Karthik Calling Karthik

After having been completely enamored and in love with the song "Uff Teri Adaa" I couldn't wait to watch the movie finally. The end emotion being, a decent watch, but could've been much better. The movie begins with a very stereotypical life of a guy (Farhaan) who's just not got anything going for him, from a landlord who's hounding him for money, to a boss who's blaming him for everything that goes wrong, to the hot co-worker (Deepika) who just doesn't know of his existence at all! The change that comes into his life, is a call, at 5 am each day, by a man who claims to be "Karthik" himself who guides him to becoming the man that he is. And voila, suddenly, the real "Karthik" begins to stand up for himself, asserts himself in front of his boss, and manages to strike conversation (a rather witty one) with Deepika too! Sitting in the audience, you literally feel like whistling and hooting when you see him walk down the corridor of his