Skip to main content

Personalisation in this Call-Centric World

How many times in the day do you call up a service provide only to routed through the IVR? How does that make you feel? The agonizing wait for a human to come online... Today, everything requires to be automated to make it cost-effective for the providers. Be it your telecom service providers, your banks, your take-away, your computer / IT related issues, everything is routed through an IVR, and as a last resort, you are guided to the Customer Service Executive / Phone Banking Officers who shall be "happy to help you".

Yes, at times, it helps to have an automated system because it ensures that no matter who picks up the call, you're serviced the same. For example, if I want the number of an office / a restaurant and I call up JustDial.com, I don't care WHO picks up my call, because I get the number smsed to me just the same!

However, when I call up Barclays or any bank regarding a query, I have to patiently explain the entire case history, background, service request numbers, etc. before I can get the person to help me. The worst is, in case my call gets cut for some reason, I have to re-do this entire explanation for no fault of mine!

It is at points like these, that I begin to appreciate the importance and relief at having one-point contact persons in these conglomerates. The HDFC Ad which says that each of its executives is "empowered" hits home. Amidst stories which rank of displeasure and unsatisfaction, I have managed to get some one-point sources of contact at key places.

Case 1: Vodafone Store, suburbs (Mumbai)
I, along with a couple of friends, were planning to take up a new plan in Vodafone. This being the case, we were changing SIMs, new numbers, plans, etc. Some of us were getting new nos. with Vodafone and the form process, verification, etc. ran into some trouble. After some issues over the phone, I decided to pay them a visit. The first guy who had taken our requests, was busy, and the system automatically alloted me the seat with the counter that just got empty. I was unwilling at first to re-explain the case and the issues, because I wanted that same guy to take over. But then, realising that I had no choice, I re-explained, showed proofs, etc. He made some calls, took some signs, and asked me to come later (2-3 days). The next time I went, the 2nd guy was busy, and I was re-alloted to some 3rd guy. Thoroughly tired now, I refused to explain. This guy went, got my forms, asked the 2nd guy about the details, and then heard me out. He then found out all that was required and assured me that the services would get restored within a time frame. Typically they're not allowed to give out their personal numbers, but he makes an exception. He gives it to me and tells me when exactly to call him so that it'll help. Within a couple of days, the services are still not restored, I call him up, and he gets cracking and within half an hour the job is done. The next time I have some work with Vodafone, instead of calling their call centre, I just walk into the Store, call out to him and I'm the next customer he takes once the seat is empty. I explain the problems and all of them get ironed out! Just like that! I tell you, it's a blessing to have a one-contact person.

Case 2: A To Z Digital Prints
If you're the types who creates documents, handles printing and designing in your office or home, then you would have made endless number of visits to the printers in your locality. Sometimes it's convenient to get your documents printed from just about anywhere, but at others it's best to have a printer you're familiar with. My family is full of architects, and hence we have a lot of printing work, so we have our regular printer at ATOZ, (suburb). I had gone there for some work for office, and struck up a rapport with one of the key person-in-charge there. He spoke Gujarati and was helpful in all possible respects. Later, when I had some personal work to be done, he actually called up as a follow-up to let me know that even though I'm stretching the deadline too fine, he'll still manage to get the work done within the minimum possible time! I was amazed, here was I, stressed out, not slept for more than a couple of hours, trying desparately to finish the document before 9 a.m., the time was running out, I had stretched from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., to 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. and had finally reached his shop by 6.30 p.m.!! I thought I was done for, I had lost hope of getting a good document, I was to catch as bus that night to Pune, and I knew that I was terribly late in the whole thing, but this man stuck to his words. I had my document looking as fine as ever, possibly the best thing I've seen, within 1 1/2 hour and I was on the bus in the next hour! It was incredible! All through the morning, he must have called me up at least 4 times, only to tell me, not to worry, and that he would get it done within no time, as soon as I reached there. And he did. Now, whenever I think of printing, I go there. It's as simple, all I have to do, is call him, tell him what I need, he gets the best deal, the best paper, the best quality, my work gets done on a priority and he in turn gets a loyal customer! Beat that!

Oh, it's a blessing to have humans around, but for them, we would have been lost in this crazy, sticking-by-the-system-call-centre-world! This is also one of the reasons why the latest Baroda-next advertisement has been rolling on the floors, it strikes a chord somewhere! Would love to hear your experiences if any! I'm signing off to do another day's work. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shaitan

So thanks to some prodding from my friend Shri, I decided to go watch this movie today. I'm not upset I did, but I'm certainly not happy. It was sort of like watching Love, Sex aur Dhokha in a way. Graphic, very close to reality, and loud. The movie begins with Anurag Kashyap saying that it's a just a movie and that he doesn't support the use of drugs, drinking and driving and that it's a fictional story which is debatable because like Dev D he used an actual incident as one of the pivotal moments in the movie, in this case the moment is when 5 kids high on coke, drinks, and generally on life, speed across town and in one of the turns end up killing two people who were on a scooter. They were driving a Hummer. Anyways, to come back to the timeline of things, the movie begins by shocking you. I know I've watched a number of movies which involve sequences of kisses in front of my parents / relatives without flinching. But I would not be able to watch this movi

Crash Landing on You - Netflix K-Drama Review

I think all of us remember our first love, we remember what it felt like to have our hearts beat that much faster, the butterflies in our stomach, the obsessing about the words we spoke or didn't speak, and other million details that come along with it. Watching a romantic comedy is supposed to evoke some bit of those memories and just fill you up in this warm, fuzzy feeling that feels like a comforting bear hug (if you like hugs!). A while back I was reading this article about the dearth of good romantic comedies nowadays and it's true, when was the last good romantic comedy you saw? To me the evergreen You've Got Mail, Kate & Leopold, Notting Hill, Sleepless in Seattle are still the classics (yes, I think I crushed on Meg Ryan a lot!). In Hindi movies, I know this divides a lot of people, but I do genuinely think Sonam Kapoor has figured this out. I absolutely loved her Khoobsurat with Fawad Khan. I thought it was funny, contemporary and their chemistry was left me

Karthik Calling Karthik

After having been completely enamored and in love with the song "Uff Teri Adaa" I couldn't wait to watch the movie finally. The end emotion being, a decent watch, but could've been much better. The movie begins with a very stereotypical life of a guy (Farhaan) who's just not got anything going for him, from a landlord who's hounding him for money, to a boss who's blaming him for everything that goes wrong, to the hot co-worker (Deepika) who just doesn't know of his existence at all! The change that comes into his life, is a call, at 5 am each day, by a man who claims to be "Karthik" himself who guides him to becoming the man that he is. And voila, suddenly, the real "Karthik" begins to stand up for himself, asserts himself in front of his boss, and manages to strike conversation (a rather witty one) with Deepika too! Sitting in the audience, you literally feel like whistling and hooting when you see him walk down the corridor of his