Skip to main content

Invictus

Yes I'm one of those people who hadn't seen this movie up until today! My roommate gave me the movie to watch just today... and I saw it! What a movie! I've always loved movies which take the base of sports to convey something more than just sportsman spirit... Like one of my all time favorites is Remember the Titans. Another favorite is The Miracle.

This movie brought to light so many things that I wasn't aware about before... It made me go back to Wiki and read up on Nelson Mandela, on the Apartheid, on the struggles, the massacres and the growth of that nation. They've gone through so much in the last two decades, it's amazing!

Morgan Freeman has won my respect and admiration all over again. He's such a perfect actor for almost all roles. But in today's movie he was the best. He fit the bill. He was inspirational. The time when Matt Damon walks into the prison at Robben Island, it was so moving to see the kind of circumstances in which he spent 18 years of his life. The mere thought of a man spending 28 years of his life in prison and then coming back to public life to lead a nation in the most trying times to succeed, it's awe-inspiring...

I liked how his character had been built... The small nuances about his daily life, his conversations with people... the admiration that he won from the staff. His insight into the people's lives. And most of all his vision. The speech he makes in front of the committee which was debating to end the rugby team was crisp and yet in a way warm... I love the line where he says, "Let me lead you"

Matt Damon's household and their interactions with their maid left me thinking about it too... The scene where he brings home four tickets, one ticket for his maid too was really touching... One of Matt Damon's lines in the movie which I really liked was when the reporter asks him, 'How did it feel like to have the support of 63000 South African's?', and he replies, 'We know we had the support of 43 million South Africans...'

The times when they play rugby with the kids... teaching them what it means to play, the rules, the game... and then one of those kids shows up to the final to watch the match listening to the radio playing in the cop's car and the jubilation with which they toss him in the air when they win, it was beautiful...

All in all, it was a great movie, capturing one of the best moments in sporting history and we have Clint Eastwood to thank for it!

Comments

Ninju said…
I have to agree it was a brilliant movie, it left a nice aftertaste but for some reason I felt it had not done enough justice to its starcast. Rugby, Aparthied, Jason Bourne :).

It was a nice review read, thanks for it.

Popular posts from this blog

Shaitan

So thanks to some prodding from my friend Shri, I decided to go watch this movie today. I'm not upset I did, but I'm certainly not happy. It was sort of like watching Love, Sex aur Dhokha in a way. Graphic, very close to reality, and loud. The movie begins with Anurag Kashyap saying that it's a just a movie and that he doesn't support the use of drugs, drinking and driving and that it's a fictional story which is debatable because like Dev D he used an actual incident as one of the pivotal moments in the movie, in this case the moment is when 5 kids high on coke, drinks, and generally on life, speed across town and in one of the turns end up killing two people who were on a scooter. They were driving a Hummer. Anyways, to come back to the timeline of things, the movie begins by shocking you. I know I've watched a number of movies which involve sequences of kisses in front of my parents / relatives without flinching. But I would not be able to watch this movi

Reviewing the K-Dramas I binge-watched recently: Chocolate, Doctors, Cinderella and the Four Knights and Romance is a Bonus Book (Part #2)

So like I said in my last post, here are short snippet reviews on the latest K-Dramas I've watched on Netflix: 4) Chocolate - I kept seeing promos/recommendations for this show so I just started watching it one day. The storyline is quite beautiful. It's not a romantic drama even though there's some of it. It's primarily a drama about human relationships and life in general. The two main characters are of a young boy who grows up to be a neurosurgeon (I later watched another show where also the doctors are neurosurgeons, makes me think this is a popular aspirational speciality) while being one of the heirs of a rich family who owns hospital chains, and of a young girl whose life was touched by this boy as a child who grows up to become a chef and their journey is the drama's plot line. This show also focuses a lot of episodes in the context of a hospice. It's shown in a very humane way, but those episodes touched me the most. I was practically crying each time

What a Chillar Party!

Sitting at home, watching a great fun movie on a lazy Saturday, what could be better? Perfect life. Today I saw Chillar Party. So many months after it had released and boy what a movie! Absolutely loved it. A fun, light-hearted (though the amount of tears I shed are contrary to that), kiddy movie with a sweet purpose. It was like watching Stanley Ka Dabba only it was a lot more fun. :) Bunch of kids with nicknames staying together in a colony get introduced to a new kid who's come to wash their parents' cars. Only, this kid has brought man's best friend along with him, bhidu , an amiable stray. The kids whose team is called 'chillar party' begin to view this intrusion as precisely that and proceed to being mean to him. When one of their pranks go a little too far, they feel guilty for their mistakes, and they apologize. After that, the team has a new member, Fatka. Together they play, and they win many battles. Whether the battles were to make the kids realize the