Skip to main content

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Rarely have I gone and seen a movie on the first day of its release. By chance yesterday it was MI4. To give me the benefit of doubt, I haven't seen the previous movies but I'm guessing that shouldn't make my review biased.

On the whole, I felt the movie was a lot of brawn and no brain. And the action was great, but I didn't come out feeling wow. First of all, my expectations were dashed when I booked tickets for an Imax screen, expecting a 3D experience! :P Clearly I didn't read the poster too well. That apart, the movie was fast-paced, kept you hooked, had some punchy dialogues here and there, and around average acting from everyone else. Tom Cruise was good, I mean he was great, but somehow my response was more on the lines of, 'At this age, he's doing this stunts, that's a WOW' Maybe I'm being scathing, maybe I'm being overcritical, maybe you would like it, but I was not so happy.

The underlying plot without revealing much is that Tom Cruise was attempting to infiltrate the Kremlin for some information when it gets bombed. The primary suspect is Tom and his team. His mission (which he chooses to accept) is to convince the russians that he is not the enemy that they think him to be, but is instead an ally trying to show them that there's someone within their system who's trying to set this nuclear war that will eventually end US & Russia. That's all there is to the plot. Then there is interception, fighting, flying, running, driving, and some more fighting, driving, crashing, and some more fighting... you get the plot.

What I loved about movies like the Bourne Identity is that the story isn't black or white, the story isn't all that's depicted, the story is a lot more than that and it's revealed to you in bits and pieces that you fail to connect, only in the end do those stray bits and pieces come together. Here, the audience is completely bought it from the very beginning, they know who's the good guy and the bad guy, they know what the good guy must do, it's too simple, there's no hook. The so called 'Ghost Protocol' had the footage of a mere few seconds. It just wasn't clever enough. That's my problem.

The cinematography, most of the action sequences, and some technically brilliant scenes were great, so it does make for a one-time watch. Doesn't hold any repeat value. There's nothing else left to decipher or understand, everyone got the plot in the first 10 mins.

Oh and did you know Anil Kapoor plays the role of an Indian billionaire in this movie? Please try and ignore him. I just cannot understand how a respectable actor like him would choose to play such a terrible role in the movie. Thankfully the dancers at the Taj were doing a variation of kathak and not some harem-like dance, but seriously, what was his language! We can speak perfectly good English, 'Indian Mens like it hot' What a crap dialogue!! I was damn irritated looking at his portrayal. And even that woman, she was supposed to seduce him and all she did was talk, raise one eyebrow, totally incapable, she then fights him and gets the information they need. If her character was so weak, why not just make her a strong, one-track mind woman who goes in, takes him down and gets the information. Why the farce of her trying to seduce and then giving up... That entire sequence was just a major low in the movie for me.

I'm going with 2/5 for the movie.

Sigh.

Comments

Radha said…
Its a MI movie....one can't expect it to be clever; its meant to be all about action stunts & choppers crashing in a tunnel & jumping from Burj Khalifa. And Tom Cruise. No?

Popular posts from this blog

Shaitan

So thanks to some prodding from my friend Shri, I decided to go watch this movie today. I'm not upset I did, but I'm certainly not happy. It was sort of like watching Love, Sex aur Dhokha in a way. Graphic, very close to reality, and loud. The movie begins with Anurag Kashyap saying that it's a just a movie and that he doesn't support the use of drugs, drinking and driving and that it's a fictional story which is debatable because like Dev D he used an actual incident as one of the pivotal moments in the movie, in this case the moment is when 5 kids high on coke, drinks, and generally on life, speed across town and in one of the turns end up killing two people who were on a scooter. They were driving a Hummer. Anyways, to come back to the timeline of things, the movie begins by shocking you. I know I've watched a number of movies which involve sequences of kisses in front of my parents / relatives without flinching. But I would not be able to watch this movi

Reviewing the K-Dramas I binge-watched recently: Chocolate, Doctors, Cinderella and the Four Knights and Romance is a Bonus Book (Part #2)

So like I said in my last post, here are short snippet reviews on the latest K-Dramas I've watched on Netflix: 4) Chocolate - I kept seeing promos/recommendations for this show so I just started watching it one day. The storyline is quite beautiful. It's not a romantic drama even though there's some of it. It's primarily a drama about human relationships and life in general. The two main characters are of a young boy who grows up to be a neurosurgeon (I later watched another show where also the doctors are neurosurgeons, makes me think this is a popular aspirational speciality) while being one of the heirs of a rich family who owns hospital chains, and of a young girl whose life was touched by this boy as a child who grows up to become a chef and their journey is the drama's plot line. This show also focuses a lot of episodes in the context of a hospice. It's shown in a very humane way, but those episodes touched me the most. I was practically crying each time

What a Chillar Party!

Sitting at home, watching a great fun movie on a lazy Saturday, what could be better? Perfect life. Today I saw Chillar Party. So many months after it had released and boy what a movie! Absolutely loved it. A fun, light-hearted (though the amount of tears I shed are contrary to that), kiddy movie with a sweet purpose. It was like watching Stanley Ka Dabba only it was a lot more fun. :) Bunch of kids with nicknames staying together in a colony get introduced to a new kid who's come to wash their parents' cars. Only, this kid has brought man's best friend along with him, bhidu , an amiable stray. The kids whose team is called 'chillar party' begin to view this intrusion as precisely that and proceed to being mean to him. When one of their pranks go a little too far, they feel guilty for their mistakes, and they apologize. After that, the team has a new member, Fatka. Together they play, and they win many battles. Whether the battles were to make the kids realize the