Skip to main content

My new love... the thump!


It's been three years almost since I first sat on a Bullet... and I can still feel the thrill. It's funny how some associations just stick with you for your lifetime, my affair with the Enfield has been exactly that.

I first sat on the Bullet Electra 350 cc, red colour... and I knew this was special. I had never felt like that on a bike before, and the moment I sat I was comfortable. That instinctual connection was fuelled by the connection I shared with the rider! :) And it was magical. To the point where, within a span of a few days, I could only by its sound (from far away) distinguish an Electra, from a Machismo, to a Thunderbird! And to think I had no idea about what bikes were! I only knew what they felt like!

Years later, my fascination continued, I began to judge the rider by the bike he rides, and automatically one who owned / rode an Enfield rose in my expectation and in my eyes... To the point where given a choice I would most certainly place trust in an Enfield rider than any other rider, although I'm well aware that not all of them would be as objective as the bike.

Objective. The one word that defines the bike to me. If I could express it, I find a lot in common with Ayn Rand, Howard Roark and the Enfield. And I'm not being (foolishly) romantic, just thoughtful. Think about it, all bikes have this false, expensive, huge, plastic sort of body to define the shape of the bike, when it's all actually very fake. It doesn't serve any purpose except to "make it look better". The aerodynamics is actually a farce. Compare that to the solid body of an Enfield. :) Some of these power bikes, have you heard their sound?? I mean seriously, I've got nothing against quieter bikes, but please the Yamaha FZ-16, though a very smooth bike, sounds like a Scooty! I can't stand it. If you mean power, you must sound like that. I might be labelled biased, but true bikers would agree, the TVS Apache, has a good sound, full-bodied kind of a strong base sound. It's more like the heavy base in the voice of a matured man sort of a thing... The Enfield doesn't pretend to be anything. You buy it because it is.

The website is a marketing genius of a tool! It's awe-inspiring, it's transparent, it's open and it gives you a glimpse of what it is to own an Enfield. Their branding, and marketing and especially their PR is so good, that you "feel" proud to own an Enfield and you "feel" like you cannot "compare an Enfield with any other bike"

One of my most loved lines, "If you need a reason to ride, you're not on the right bike." So Enfield in its thought!

I can't wait for the day when I'll own one... Till then, my love just continues to bloom! :)

P.S. - The second image is that of 50 Enfield riders on their yearly Himalayan Odyssey trip!

Comments

M. James said…
Michelle...

The thump, the rhythm, the breeze, the power and the pillion.

Ecstatic is not word enough to describe the feeling.
..:: J ::.. said…
lookin good in your new display picture ;)
~ a said…
aren't you on facebook? :) you'll get direct feeds then!
..:: J ::.. said…
nope :) no facebook ...

Popular posts from this blog

Shaitan

So thanks to some prodding from my friend Shri, I decided to go watch this movie today. I'm not upset I did, but I'm certainly not happy. It was sort of like watching Love, Sex aur Dhokha in a way. Graphic, very close to reality, and loud. The movie begins with Anurag Kashyap saying that it's a just a movie and that he doesn't support the use of drugs, drinking and driving and that it's a fictional story which is debatable because like Dev D he used an actual incident as one of the pivotal moments in the movie, in this case the moment is when 5 kids high on coke, drinks, and generally on life, speed across town and in one of the turns end up killing two people who were on a scooter. They were driving a Hummer. Anyways, to come back to the timeline of things, the movie begins by shocking you. I know I've watched a number of movies which involve sequences of kisses in front of my parents / relatives without flinching. But I would not be able to watch this movi

Reviewing the K-Dramas I binge-watched recently: Chocolate, Doctors, Cinderella and the Four Knights and Romance is a Bonus Book (Part #2)

So like I said in my last post, here are short snippet reviews on the latest K-Dramas I've watched on Netflix: 4) Chocolate - I kept seeing promos/recommendations for this show so I just started watching it one day. The storyline is quite beautiful. It's not a romantic drama even though there's some of it. It's primarily a drama about human relationships and life in general. The two main characters are of a young boy who grows up to be a neurosurgeon (I later watched another show where also the doctors are neurosurgeons, makes me think this is a popular aspirational speciality) while being one of the heirs of a rich family who owns hospital chains, and of a young girl whose life was touched by this boy as a child who grows up to become a chef and their journey is the drama's plot line. This show also focuses a lot of episodes in the context of a hospice. It's shown in a very humane way, but those episodes touched me the most. I was practically crying each time

What a Chillar Party!

Sitting at home, watching a great fun movie on a lazy Saturday, what could be better? Perfect life. Today I saw Chillar Party. So many months after it had released and boy what a movie! Absolutely loved it. A fun, light-hearted (though the amount of tears I shed are contrary to that), kiddy movie with a sweet purpose. It was like watching Stanley Ka Dabba only it was a lot more fun. :) Bunch of kids with nicknames staying together in a colony get introduced to a new kid who's come to wash their parents' cars. Only, this kid has brought man's best friend along with him, bhidu , an amiable stray. The kids whose team is called 'chillar party' begin to view this intrusion as precisely that and proceed to being mean to him. When one of their pranks go a little too far, they feel guilty for their mistakes, and they apologize. After that, the team has a new member, Fatka. Together they play, and they win many battles. Whether the battles were to make the kids realize the