Skip to main content

Gone With The Wind


For all these years, I've been hearing this oft repeated phrase "Gone with the wind" and I knew it was in reference to the book written by Margaret Mitchell. It was just about fifteen days ago that I finally saw the movie! The first thing that striked me about the movie was the price! I wanted to buy it from the shop, and it was for Rs. 1,500! It must have been some collector's edition, nevertheless, I didn't have so much money to spend on it... So I ended up renting it for the night, little did I know that the entire movie is around 5 and 1/2 hours long...


I sit to watch this movie, and it takes me into this different world that I knew very little about. I had only read a little about the Civil War and about the differences that made South and North America.. There was a short introduction to the movie, enabling viewers like me to understand the contexts.


Another reference though not so prominent was a book that I had read a couple of years ago (which I re-read many more times, coz I thoroughly enjoyed the book). The book was "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" by Rebecca Wells, in which the protagonist, Viviane, is shown to fall in love with "Gone With the Wind". One dialogue that she refers to, "Oh! Necie (her friend) I want to live in this drama! I was made for it" and another quote from her daughter (Sidda), who recollects her mother's (Viviane) peculiar manner of raising her eyebrow, quite like the protagonist in the novel, Scarlett O' Hara.


The movie spans many years, and takes us through the beautiful fields and lands of South America, their cultures, and parties, the mindsets of the people, the war, death and destruction, conflict of land and of love, relationships, parenthood, slavery, hunger, determination and finally what triumphs, the love of the land...


Very beautifully interwoven, and articulately written, the artist's renderation of the screenplay is flawless! You begin to feel and connect with the characters to a great extent.


Scarlett O' Hara is a very intelligent woman, she is very symbolic of some of the ideals that an American individual tends to inherit from his land. Though her greatest value and asset is that she loves her land, Tara, (probably from terra, earth) the other things that she does, being proud of who she is, doing acts and things with her sole goal in mind, fiercely independent and sure, determined to achieve success at all costs... For me, this was an experience of sorts, because while through the whole movie, people were denouncing Scarlett's (whose character is played by Vivien Leigh) behavior and her manipulations, I was actually thinking that there was nothing wrong in doing what she did from her perspective. She wanted to achieve her goal, and she had kept that as her highest value, society's laws of governance, small talk and winning accolades from her friends, peers was of no concern for her. Her depiction of the character is superb and you must watch this movie for the various shades that you get to see in a character. It's like you're peeling off the skin from the character as part of the movie. It takes you through the various natures of men, women and those of society.


I consider this movie a classic and an absolute must-see!

Comments

Shrinterest said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shrinterest said…
hey a true blast from the past. A 1939 movie, with Vivien Leigh, born as Vivian mary Hartley/1913/Darjeeling in india. (thanks to the history channel for this info). much celebrated for the dialog "frankly my friend, i don't give a damn"... Heard the book was very borring, all though never found myself placeing it on my book shelf. write on!!! cheers!!!
clickable said…
Err...you mean Southern and Northern US right? South and North America are different continents...the conflict is more about the the North and the South (within the US). Read more here.
~ a said…
Oh yeah! :) faux pas!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Shaitan

So thanks to some prodding from my friend Shri, I decided to go watch this movie today. I'm not upset I did, but I'm certainly not happy. It was sort of like watching Love, Sex aur Dhokha in a way. Graphic, very close to reality, and loud. The movie begins with Anurag Kashyap saying that it's a just a movie and that he doesn't support the use of drugs, drinking and driving and that it's a fictional story which is debatable because like Dev D he used an actual incident as one of the pivotal moments in the movie, in this case the moment is when 5 kids high on coke, drinks, and generally on life, speed across town and in one of the turns end up killing two people who were on a scooter. They were driving a Hummer. Anyways, to come back to the timeline of things, the movie begins by shocking you. I know I've watched a number of movies which involve sequences of kisses in front of my parents / relatives without flinching. But I would not be able to watch this movi

Crash Landing on You - Netflix K-Drama Review

I think all of us remember our first love, we remember what it felt like to have our hearts beat that much faster, the butterflies in our stomach, the obsessing about the words we spoke or didn't speak, and other million details that come along with it. Watching a romantic comedy is supposed to evoke some bit of those memories and just fill you up in this warm, fuzzy feeling that feels like a comforting bear hug (if you like hugs!). A while back I was reading this article about the dearth of good romantic comedies nowadays and it's true, when was the last good romantic comedy you saw? To me the evergreen You've Got Mail, Kate & Leopold, Notting Hill, Sleepless in Seattle are still the classics (yes, I think I crushed on Meg Ryan a lot!). In Hindi movies, I know this divides a lot of people, but I do genuinely think Sonam Kapoor has figured this out. I absolutely loved her Khoobsurat with Fawad Khan. I thought it was funny, contemporary and their chemistry was left me

Karthik Calling Karthik

After having been completely enamored and in love with the song "Uff Teri Adaa" I couldn't wait to watch the movie finally. The end emotion being, a decent watch, but could've been much better. The movie begins with a very stereotypical life of a guy (Farhaan) who's just not got anything going for him, from a landlord who's hounding him for money, to a boss who's blaming him for everything that goes wrong, to the hot co-worker (Deepika) who just doesn't know of his existence at all! The change that comes into his life, is a call, at 5 am each day, by a man who claims to be "Karthik" himself who guides him to becoming the man that he is. And voila, suddenly, the real "Karthik" begins to stand up for himself, asserts himself in front of his boss, and manages to strike conversation (a rather witty one) with Deepika too! Sitting in the audience, you literally feel like whistling and hooting when you see him walk down the corridor of his