Skip to main content

Inception of an Idea!

Yes I finally did go and see the much talked about movie. And I didn't say a word. Not a single word during the entire movie, in spite of the fact that I had gone with three good friends of mine. I cringed, I moved, I expressed emotions on my face, but I didn't bat an eyelid! What a movie! What an idea, and what a depiction! Simply superb! I have never come out of a movie with a hangover of thoughts, I have never had a headache because I've thought and concentrated so much... There is imagination, and there's science. This was the actual depiction of scientific imagination. It was sculpted and timed to perfection and everything was in the perfect measures.

Without divulging into details, I'm going to try and simplify the story to what it was. So you have a central character, Cobb played by Leonardo DiCaprio, who is an extractor. Employed by huge corporates for the ultimate espionage, to steal ideas from the subconscious minds of people. He's given a chance to come back to lead a normal life without the threats of his current life, but for that he must plant an idea into the competitor's brain, at a subconscious level. To do this, he sets up a team of an architect, a chemist, other faithful people who've helped him in the past, and set about to do this planned plantation!

The beauty of it is, like this one line, "What's the most resilient parasite? An Idea. A single idea from the human mind can build cities. An idea can transform the world and rewrite all the rules" And that is exactly what he does. He creates this whole new world, using facts that we know of and just builds on them as simply as though it were but natural! Never before have we even thought about the things that he's shown, like for e.g. why is that in reality we never actually remember how a dream begins? We just land up somewhere in it? Why is it that in the morning when we put our alarm on snooze, we've actually only slept for a short duration but felt like it was longer? Why do we feel like our dream was real? These are the very basic questions he's used as a base to his story. And he's created a marvel.

From going into the dreams of a person, to going into depths of dreams, building and creating actual cities from imagination and then bringing everyone back to a reality that doesn't seem real anymore. There's this entire scene where he takes an architect into a dream and allows her to imagine and design the dream, and she keeps changing the architecture of what's around her in a rapid, awestriking manner! I especially love this one scene, where she pulls two mirrors in front of each other so that they mirror columns, creating infinity, and then she breaks one of them to walk into that columnar bridge! It's a priceless moment of sheer beauty. My dad would be proud that they used architects to create this sort of a structured building! He's always told me that we create reality from ideas, and that's precisely what he's shown. :)

The screenplay, the delivery, the direction, the cinematography of the movie are just amazingly seamlessly integrated into the movie. This was the first Christopher Nolan movie that I saw, and I'm amazed at the details he's gone into. Rest assured, you will want to see this movie again, to understand it better. You're not going to even check your phone while watching this movie because you're going to be so engrossed in it, that you won't care about anything else in the world! I just hope that Leonardo wins an Oscar for it! Or at least the director does.

It is a must-watch, I'd give it a rating of 10/10. And I actually feel it would've helped had there been subtitles! :D

Comments

Shashank Kapur said…
Some theatres do show subtitles. what i also noticed was that there were a few scenes which were cut in hyd halls.
~ a said…
Really? That's pretty strange! I hope we didn't lose the track of the story because of that. I remember when I checked IMDB for the movie, there were a lot of people who'd posted some major continuity issues in the movie, and I didn't actually register any of those! :P

Popular posts from this blog

Shaitan

So thanks to some prodding from my friend Shri, I decided to go watch this movie today. I'm not upset I did, but I'm certainly not happy. It was sort of like watching Love, Sex aur Dhokha in a way. Graphic, very close to reality, and loud. The movie begins with Anurag Kashyap saying that it's a just a movie and that he doesn't support the use of drugs, drinking and driving and that it's a fictional story which is debatable because like Dev D he used an actual incident as one of the pivotal moments in the movie, in this case the moment is when 5 kids high on coke, drinks, and generally on life, speed across town and in one of the turns end up killing two people who were on a scooter. They were driving a Hummer. Anyways, to come back to the timeline of things, the movie begins by shocking you. I know I've watched a number of movies which involve sequences of kisses in front of my parents / relatives without flinching. But I would not be able to watch this movi

Crash Landing on You - Netflix K-Drama Review

I think all of us remember our first love, we remember what it felt like to have our hearts beat that much faster, the butterflies in our stomach, the obsessing about the words we spoke or didn't speak, and other million details that come along with it. Watching a romantic comedy is supposed to evoke some bit of those memories and just fill you up in this warm, fuzzy feeling that feels like a comforting bear hug (if you like hugs!). A while back I was reading this article about the dearth of good romantic comedies nowadays and it's true, when was the last good romantic comedy you saw? To me the evergreen You've Got Mail, Kate & Leopold, Notting Hill, Sleepless in Seattle are still the classics (yes, I think I crushed on Meg Ryan a lot!). In Hindi movies, I know this divides a lot of people, but I do genuinely think Sonam Kapoor has figured this out. I absolutely loved her Khoobsurat with Fawad Khan. I thought it was funny, contemporary and their chemistry was left me

Karthik Calling Karthik

After having been completely enamored and in love with the song "Uff Teri Adaa" I couldn't wait to watch the movie finally. The end emotion being, a decent watch, but could've been much better. The movie begins with a very stereotypical life of a guy (Farhaan) who's just not got anything going for him, from a landlord who's hounding him for money, to a boss who's blaming him for everything that goes wrong, to the hot co-worker (Deepika) who just doesn't know of his existence at all! The change that comes into his life, is a call, at 5 am each day, by a man who claims to be "Karthik" himself who guides him to becoming the man that he is. And voila, suddenly, the real "Karthik" begins to stand up for himself, asserts himself in front of his boss, and manages to strike conversation (a rather witty one) with Deepika too! Sitting in the audience, you literally feel like whistling and hooting when you see him walk down the corridor of his