Skip to main content

Movie Review: The Danish Girl

Hello you! 

It's been a really long time since I blogged. I think I have probably forgotten how to do write in the first place but sometimes when the subject matter is so strong, you can't stop, so here I am, plunging into the water all over again. Maybe this will signal my coming back from the forgotten bookmarks, or maybe it's a one-off thing, but I'm just going to let this play out as it does. :) Happy New Year to you too! :) 

I got back from my holidays and my friends made a plan to go watch this movie on the first day of it's release in Singapore. Yup! It's been a while since I've done one of those. The second was they decided that it was high time I got introduced to The Projector! In the last 1.5yrs since I've been in Singapore, I've never once been to The Projector. If you're from Bombay, think of how Gaiety-Galaxy look like as theatres compared to the flashy multiplexes and combine that with the vibe, character and aesthetic beauty of Prithvi + Kala Ghoda and you'll get what The Projector is. :) Certainly a fitting venue for the kind of movie we were to watch. 

Recently, unconsciously, I've watched movies without having even read the byline, forget the reviews / IMDB rating and more. It's gone both ways honestly, but when the movie is good, it's soo much better! I had no idea what the movie was about and I went in like a blank slate. 

If there's one movie I'd recommend you to start your year with, it would be this one (in my head, i'm now thinking that I must follow-up with a review for 'The Intern' which should be the second movie you should watch, followed by Manjhi if you haven't seen that already). 

I'll tell you now, if you haven't seen this movie and if you want to see it without reading about it first, close this tab (bookmark it so you can come back after seeing it maybe?) and go buy the ticket! If you're choosing to continue, read on knowing I will give descriptions about the movie which will contain spoilers. 

The Danish Girl opens with some fantastic shots of Copenhagen set in the 1920s and then moves to some amazing landscapes which look like postcards. I remember thinking if this movie had an instagram account, I should definitely follow it. The movie follows the life of a couple, Einar Wegener and his wife Gerda who are both painters in Denmark. Einar paints landscapes, primarily inspired by his homeplace and Gerda paints portraits. Life seems good. They are happy with each other, pursuing each other's work in separate areas in their house which is more like a studio and less like a home. I loved the details in the cinematography of the movie, the colors of the paintings, the textures on the wood in the walls, the repetition of certain shots and people to give a sense of time passing by and the beautiful background score which gave me goosebumps at key moments. 

Before you know it, the movie has taken a very different direction. I thought this was going to evolve into a romantic movie or a period drama, but all of a sudden I see it's about an identity crisis on a very deep level. 

Einar Wegener was asked by his wife to sit in as one of her "subjects" for her portraits when the client is missing and the deadline is approaching, during this process of donning a pair of stockings and holding a silk dress, he discovers that the touch of the fabric evoked desires in him that had long been suppressed. 

From then on, the movie shifts focus to show us the internal struggle that Einar goes through on his journey of self discovery and self expression till he finds 'Lily'. Lily is initially introduced as Einar's cousin, she becomes the primary subject for all of Gerda's paintings which boost Gerda's standing as a painter. 

Personally, as a viewer, I felt like the movie speaks to you at different levels. I could identify and understand Gerda's character and was moved by her expressions and emotions of helplessness, overpowering love, desire for some stability, torn between being the decision maker as also feel so strongly for Lily, who is driven by a desire to be appreciated, loved, and wanted for who she is. Both of the actors did such a fantastic job of making these characters real and human, you can't help but get consumed in those emotions. 

I won't go into the details of what happens in the movie because I think you ought to see it for yourself, but suffice to know that the movie has the depth that most movies around you don't. It has poignancy, lots of silence, beautiful locales, stunning performances and human emotions. 

From amongst the many things that stayed with me after the movie, the most important one was to hear Einar say, "I think I'm a... woman inside... stuck in a man's body... and I know you must think I'm insane". For some reason, I thought of HONY and how each time when I read about someone's story, it strikes me how each of us have a unique journey, a different struggle and how just listening to someone's story can be the difference between them feeling like they are all alone, insane or feeling like there's someone who can be there just listening while they figure themselves out. 

I didn't mean to sound preachy. This is what I took away from the movie, maybe you're just curious to know who was the pioneer of a sex-change operation! :) 

Comments

Anuja A Agarwal said…
Beautifully written, Ayesha. This blog resonates with me because the movie has a haunting and lilting quality that stays with you long after you've exited the theatre. Of course besides being moved to tears during the movie, the vacuum I felt after the movie, for a long long time was almost inexplicable. I felt the depths of Einar's pain, and admired Gerda's foresight and strength to stand by him in what was absolutely unheard of 100 years ago. Loved the movie. And your blog. Keep writing.
~ a said…
:) :) Thanks Anuja! Can't wait to get back to writing more often..

Popular posts from this blog

Shaitan

So thanks to some prodding from my friend Shri, I decided to go watch this movie today. I'm not upset I did, but I'm certainly not happy. It was sort of like watching Love, Sex aur Dhokha in a way. Graphic, very close to reality, and loud. The movie begins with Anurag Kashyap saying that it's a just a movie and that he doesn't support the use of drugs, drinking and driving and that it's a fictional story which is debatable because like Dev D he used an actual incident as one of the pivotal moments in the movie, in this case the moment is when 5 kids high on coke, drinks, and generally on life, speed across town and in one of the turns end up killing two people who were on a scooter. They were driving a Hummer. Anyways, to come back to the timeline of things, the movie begins by shocking you. I know I've watched a number of movies which involve sequences of kisses in front of my parents / relatives without flinching. But I would not be able to watch this movi

Crash Landing on You - Netflix K-Drama Review

I think all of us remember our first love, we remember what it felt like to have our hearts beat that much faster, the butterflies in our stomach, the obsessing about the words we spoke or didn't speak, and other million details that come along with it. Watching a romantic comedy is supposed to evoke some bit of those memories and just fill you up in this warm, fuzzy feeling that feels like a comforting bear hug (if you like hugs!). A while back I was reading this article about the dearth of good romantic comedies nowadays and it's true, when was the last good romantic comedy you saw? To me the evergreen You've Got Mail, Kate & Leopold, Notting Hill, Sleepless in Seattle are still the classics (yes, I think I crushed on Meg Ryan a lot!). In Hindi movies, I know this divides a lot of people, but I do genuinely think Sonam Kapoor has figured this out. I absolutely loved her Khoobsurat with Fawad Khan. I thought it was funny, contemporary and their chemistry was left me

Karthik Calling Karthik

After having been completely enamored and in love with the song "Uff Teri Adaa" I couldn't wait to watch the movie finally. The end emotion being, a decent watch, but could've been much better. The movie begins with a very stereotypical life of a guy (Farhaan) who's just not got anything going for him, from a landlord who's hounding him for money, to a boss who's blaming him for everything that goes wrong, to the hot co-worker (Deepika) who just doesn't know of his existence at all! The change that comes into his life, is a call, at 5 am each day, by a man who claims to be "Karthik" himself who guides him to becoming the man that he is. And voila, suddenly, the real "Karthik" begins to stand up for himself, asserts himself in front of his boss, and manages to strike conversation (a rather witty one) with Deepika too! Sitting in the audience, you literally feel like whistling and hooting when you see him walk down the corridor of his