Skip to main content

White Space

Just recently I was reading my emails.. personal ones. And I sat down to reply to them. That suddenly I realized I'd fallen into such a pattern that I didn't even notice when I stopped replying to emails. I didn't notice when I stopped writing emails. My life had become a mirror of IMs and selfies and #tags and check-ins and +1s and likes... always connected *yay* but then have I lost the essence of life? Have I started thinking in bullet points? Do everything need to have a point? Are we breathing shorter breaths? When was the last time I broke into a dance? When was the last time I wrote poetry? I don't know when this change happened, the whole whatsapp craze, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE whatsapp. I love that I'm this close to my friends and family, but then again I want that to be secondary or complimentary but not solitary.

And so I decided the easiest thing to do would be to write. That's simple right? You used to write, you stopped doing it, just pick up the pen (or stare at the keyboard) and your fingers will do the rest... Your brain will make the connections and the words will flow... Weirdly, that's not how it happened. I kept staring at the white space that is my blog draft and wondering where I should begin. It wasn't writer's block technically because in a few minutes when I'd calmed myself down and stopped reacting to the thousand and one notifications that we get I was able to form coherent sentences and then it did flow... It made me a little sad. Made me sit up and think about how we were leading our lives. Forget the we. How I was leading my life. I honestly LOVE my work but I do need to love my time and my passions too. There are so many things happening around us, so many instances, conversations, moments, that you wish you were able to capture them. Store them lovingly wrapped in paper (not plastic! that's just not warm!).

The little things. The marigold flowers that you buy to decorate your home on Dusshera... The rangoli design that I downloaded on my phone from a Mandala-designs inspired blog... The time I took out to get myself pampered on a weekend at a spa... The gorgeous dress and makeup that I did for an event in the city... The organized closets, the new goodies I bought myself online, the 4 meals I made when I was down with a cold... The flowers that suddenly land up at work... The conversations with cousins across the cities... Each moment that adds color and warmth to your lives!

Writing is therapeutic... I should do this more often. :)


Comments

Lovell D'souza said…
Looks like you need internet rehab. Also, I'd suggest investing in a Nokia 3310.
Also, quit your job. :P
~ a said…
Hahaha.. I've lived with a Nokia E63 for a month and half and was happy not to be bugged with notifications. :) But yes I do need to change some things. Last night after posting, I almost went to sleep, then woke up, picked up my phone, saw the notification, went to my blog, and then was about to post a reply to your comment. Unfortunately Chrome required me to sign out and sign in and then I gave up. Long story short I do need to stay away from "being always connected"! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Shaitan

So thanks to some prodding from my friend Shri, I decided to go watch this movie today. I'm not upset I did, but I'm certainly not happy. It was sort of like watching Love, Sex aur Dhokha in a way. Graphic, very close to reality, and loud. The movie begins with Anurag Kashyap saying that it's a just a movie and that he doesn't support the use of drugs, drinking and driving and that it's a fictional story which is debatable because like Dev D he used an actual incident as one of the pivotal moments in the movie, in this case the moment is when 5 kids high on coke, drinks, and generally on life, speed across town and in one of the turns end up killing two people who were on a scooter. They were driving a Hummer. Anyways, to come back to the timeline of things, the movie begins by shocking you. I know I've watched a number of movies which involve sequences of kisses in front of my parents / relatives without flinching. But I would not be able to watch this movi

Crash Landing on You - Netflix K-Drama Review

I think all of us remember our first love, we remember what it felt like to have our hearts beat that much faster, the butterflies in our stomach, the obsessing about the words we spoke or didn't speak, and other million details that come along with it. Watching a romantic comedy is supposed to evoke some bit of those memories and just fill you up in this warm, fuzzy feeling that feels like a comforting bear hug (if you like hugs!). A while back I was reading this article about the dearth of good romantic comedies nowadays and it's true, when was the last good romantic comedy you saw? To me the evergreen You've Got Mail, Kate & Leopold, Notting Hill, Sleepless in Seattle are still the classics (yes, I think I crushed on Meg Ryan a lot!). In Hindi movies, I know this divides a lot of people, but I do genuinely think Sonam Kapoor has figured this out. I absolutely loved her Khoobsurat with Fawad Khan. I thought it was funny, contemporary and their chemistry was left me

Karthik Calling Karthik

After having been completely enamored and in love with the song "Uff Teri Adaa" I couldn't wait to watch the movie finally. The end emotion being, a decent watch, but could've been much better. The movie begins with a very stereotypical life of a guy (Farhaan) who's just not got anything going for him, from a landlord who's hounding him for money, to a boss who's blaming him for everything that goes wrong, to the hot co-worker (Deepika) who just doesn't know of his existence at all! The change that comes into his life, is a call, at 5 am each day, by a man who claims to be "Karthik" himself who guides him to becoming the man that he is. And voila, suddenly, the real "Karthik" begins to stand up for himself, asserts himself in front of his boss, and manages to strike conversation (a rather witty one) with Deepika too! Sitting in the audience, you literally feel like whistling and hooting when you see him walk down the corridor of his