Skip to main content

On the threshold of a leap

[A journey of words through the times that I’ve spent in this institution, from AMAG and then BMS, making many friends, to finding a person that I am, an individual, proud to be.]

Five years, it’s been five years since a curious, shy girl that was me entered the premises of this building for the first time. Everything was for a first time, each step an achievement.

The moments move past me in a blur, a rapid sequence of still shots, moments of, jumping into the train for the first time, running down the corridors, voicing those opinions, etching those first words, growing up within these walls, only to learn how to fly, how to rise beyond the limits and blossom in the blue sky.

A period of time enmeshed with emotions and filled with events, from friendships to crushes, from authority to responsibility, from the unknown to the widely known, from J.C. to T.Y., a journey in which I have grown.

A quest for realization, a journey of knowledge, experiencing everything, the emotions, and the incidents and bearing the consequences. Amidst the events a desire to find yourself, to encapsulate that knowledge and to burst forth with passion. These very words that flow weren’t so smooth before. They were thoughts like the vapour now condensed onto the paper. Dew drops on the leaves, the first rays of the sun, the pink glow of the sunset, and the light of the dawn.


The time that is now a memory, the moments that have now passed, the jubilation that rises and along with it comes the pain of the separation. For those who don’t feel the pain, it’s just been a building, those who never gave anything to it, those who never learned, those who never felt, those who never rose, those who are moving like zombies, untouched and indifferent, nothing will ever matter to them, for nothing ever has.

The people who were involved in those clandestine plans, the sub-rose meetings and those hush-hush clans, for them it was the excitement, the thrill of thwarting the norms, the vanity of self where there was no self at all.

The intellectual, rather studious minds that grew, absorbing all that was around, using the resources they had, and achieving what they can.

These walls, those charts, the paints and that jari, the words, the layouts, the texture and the money, the thoughts, the voices, the struggles and the joy, few words to describe the society that was mine. The affirmation to that group, the journey of the truth, the realization of my abilities, and the fruit of my labour. Guided and co-coordinated with a dedication that matched mine, a mind that created what I visualized, the effect of seeing our output never fails to give us the joy, the also reminds us of the struggles we had, to fly. The committee that faithfully records a picturesque memory, the book that carries an imprint of those times, the book that we created to commemorate our souls.

The joyful revelry, the festive time, the chaotic confusion and the mayhem enfolds. Colours, people and charts all about, one asking you to perform, the others belong, choices and tension that spared no one, the run-u to the event, and in mid December we celebrate the “organized chaos” event!

An elite group rising within, emboldened by their sheer spirits, working within their constraints, yet always striving to win. The group of people where I belonged, where I learned and grew in thought, the odds were against us, but never did we fail to win. Organizing events, making presentations, having fun and loving life, are just some of the facets that I can attribute to us.


The colours of life, the experiences that make me, the thoughts that guide me, have brought me to this threshold where I will now go and face this world with everything that I behold. The journey of college life in Sydenham draws to a close, but the memories remain imprinted deep within my soul. Adieu and au revoir dear college, a deep wish have I, to see you regain your glory, and I will till the time I’m here, play my part in the story.

Comments

clickable said…
Dear ol' nostalgia. I got goose bumps as I read this, and remembered the years gone by after college. I'm lucky to still be in close touch with so many of my friends from under-grad.
~ a said…
:) I still have another semester to go yes, but then that does not stop me from feeling the emotions that i feel and i love expressing what i feel! :)

hehe.. these two poems happened while i was studying for my paper !

you know, the friendships that have stayed, are the ones that don't require either of us to call diligently or anything of that sort, the ones that stay, just stay, because you always connect, unless of course if you or the other person stop being who they are! :)
Radha said…
congratulations on your graduation (in advance) :)
so whats the leap going to be??? Aiming for a masters?
~ a said…
masters yes, but not immediately. i want to explore the areas before that. i've got loads of options that i want to try and i'd prefer not hurrying into the masters without being sure of it! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Shaitan

So thanks to some prodding from my friend Shri, I decided to go watch this movie today. I'm not upset I did, but I'm certainly not happy. It was sort of like watching Love, Sex aur Dhokha in a way. Graphic, very close to reality, and loud. The movie begins with Anurag Kashyap saying that it's a just a movie and that he doesn't support the use of drugs, drinking and driving and that it's a fictional story which is debatable because like Dev D he used an actual incident as one of the pivotal moments in the movie, in this case the moment is when 5 kids high on coke, drinks, and generally on life, speed across town and in one of the turns end up killing two people who were on a scooter. They were driving a Hummer. Anyways, to come back to the timeline of things, the movie begins by shocking you. I know I've watched a number of movies which involve sequences of kisses in front of my parents / relatives without flinching. But I would not be able to watch this movi

Reviewing the K-Dramas I binge-watched recently: Chocolate, Doctors, Cinderella and the Four Knights and Romance is a Bonus Book (Part #2)

So like I said in my last post, here are short snippet reviews on the latest K-Dramas I've watched on Netflix: 4) Chocolate - I kept seeing promos/recommendations for this show so I just started watching it one day. The storyline is quite beautiful. It's not a romantic drama even though there's some of it. It's primarily a drama about human relationships and life in general. The two main characters are of a young boy who grows up to be a neurosurgeon (I later watched another show where also the doctors are neurosurgeons, makes me think this is a popular aspirational speciality) while being one of the heirs of a rich family who owns hospital chains, and of a young girl whose life was touched by this boy as a child who grows up to become a chef and their journey is the drama's plot line. This show also focuses a lot of episodes in the context of a hospice. It's shown in a very humane way, but those episodes touched me the most. I was practically crying each time

What a Chillar Party!

Sitting at home, watching a great fun movie on a lazy Saturday, what could be better? Perfect life. Today I saw Chillar Party. So many months after it had released and boy what a movie! Absolutely loved it. A fun, light-hearted (though the amount of tears I shed are contrary to that), kiddy movie with a sweet purpose. It was like watching Stanley Ka Dabba only it was a lot more fun. :) Bunch of kids with nicknames staying together in a colony get introduced to a new kid who's come to wash their parents' cars. Only, this kid has brought man's best friend along with him, bhidu , an amiable stray. The kids whose team is called 'chillar party' begin to view this intrusion as precisely that and proceed to being mean to him. When one of their pranks go a little too far, they feel guilty for their mistakes, and they apologize. After that, the team has a new member, Fatka. Together they play, and they win many battles. Whether the battles were to make the kids realize the